A day to honor our priests
Priesthood Sunday is September 25, 2022.
This is a day to honor our priests. How can we do this in a meaningful way?
- Hold a parish dinner at which the pastor tells his vocation story
- Publish short biographies of recent pastors
- Pray for deceased priests who have served the parish
- Offer cards and gifts for the rectory
- Publicly recognize and pray for young men who are considering the Priesthood (with their consent)
- Offer a “spiritual bouquet” of rosaries or other prayers
If you choose to offer a spiritual bouquet, here is an exercise recommended by Fr. Brett Brannen, author of To Save a Thousand Souls: A Guide for Discerning a Vocation to Diocesan Priesthood:
When praying the rosary, offer the first decade for the priest who baptized you, the second for the priest who gave you first Communion, the third for the bishop who confirmed you, the fourth for the priest who witnessed your marriage or the bishop who ordained you (or will do so in the future), and the fifth decade for the priest who will anoint you at your death.
Background photo by Fr. Corey Bruns.